Monday, January 23, 2017

Do we still have the ability to feel?

Do we still have the ability to feel?

I just read the following verse in the scripture and thought, do we/I still have the ability to feel?
“When He saw the crowds, He felt compassion for them, because they were weary and worn out, like sheep without a shepherd.”

We live in such a “Me, Myselfie and I” world that sometimes I believe that we/I lose the ability to feel.
It’s worth noting that the first thing Jesus did not do was speak. He felt before He spoke. That’s a good question for me to ask myself, “Do I think before I speak? Do I feel before I speak? Can I even begin to grasp the reality of the sorrow of peoples lives to the point that compassion overflows my soul?”.  Theologically I would agree that I should, but have I placed the time to think on these things? To think about people? That was Jesus’ whole focus on coming to earth and as a follower, I “can’t find the time?”. Again, I believe we should reach to lost, hurting, wounded and I do. I believe local congregations should, and ours does. My point is, do we/I do it because we are just suppose to or because we /I understand the heart of the gospel and have compassion for people?

Of course we have the ability to feel, but what are we feeling and who are those feelings directed towards? I often live such an inward life which focuses all or at least most of my emotions on me. Work as a pastor can sometimes become a good project that needs to be accomplished instead of a people that need to be healed. I pray that I would stop and I would think through what it looks like, feels like, is like to walk in the shoes of those in my church and in my city who are weary and worn out. To feel for them and walk with them. 

I’ve been reminded of two of the basic spiritual disciplines of faithfully reading the scriptures and staying in tune with God’s heart through prayer. Something else that has been huge for me is meeting with a small group of guys and hearing their hurts and wounds and walking with them through life. 
All in all I must abandon the “Me, Myselfie and I” culture and pursue the grace of God so I am able to “Stop and Feel”. That is what Jesus . Over 40 something times throughout the gospels you would see Jesus sneak off to pray and seek the Father and that is where he received the compassion and strength to love the world. 

No comments: