Saturday, November 22, 2008

Your biggest dream ever?


What is your biggest dream ever? Do you dream? Have you ever followed through with any dreams that you've had? I had a dream a few years ago to meet with a pastor in California named Francis Chan. I heard Francis speak at a Student Venture conference that I was at and loved what he had to say. That day he became a hero of mine. I thought it would be cool to be a pastor one day and travel and speak to youth during the week like he did. So one day I looked up whitepages.com and typed in his name. I found a city that I thought was his, so I called the number and began to leave a message.

I believe that I was 21 at the time and nervous as anything to leave the message. Anyway I fumbled my way through the message, probably not making sense, and I let him know that I would love to get together with him and here how he was able to where he was in life. I told him I would love to do what he does one day.

Maybe a day or two later I get a call. Guess who it was? My mom. Just kidding. Francis Chan called my phone number. He called, I answered. He asked if this was Justin. I said yes. Then he said this is Francis Chan and I am returning your call.

To make a long story short, we chatted, he believed in me and said he would meet me. I flew out to LA and met him at a Student Venture conference where he was speaking. He and his family came to pick me up where I was staying and we talked for an hour or so. I learned a lot.

Two dreams happened. One is I met with a hero of mine. The second is that I just started Awaken Community Church and am now a pastor. I am also starting to travel and speak more and more.

Although dreams may not happen right away (it took me 6 years), they can happen.

Follow Jesus and dream big.

No comments: