Saturday, December 6, 2008

Why do people stop going to church?

I have really been curious why people stop going to church. I have read the book Unchristian, which is a very good book by the way. It is a must read if you want to understand how to engage a young generation in today's culture.

I have started asking people why they do not go. Many say it is not because they hate church or they are bored, they just say it is because they stopped going and have not been back. I heard a message by Andy last week at RockPoint, which is a great church by the way, and the title was "just ask". I am curious to see how many people that are living life without God would come back to church if they were intentionally invited; if they were just asked. Obviously once they come, you and your church better have something to offer them, namely the love of Jesus.

At Awaken we want to create a comfortable/relational environment for people to come to. I pray as we intentionally ask people to come to our church, we would love them and show them the love of Jesus.

3 comments:

Travis said...

Justin,
I came across your blog and found it quite interesting, because I can relate. We are in the process of helping start a new church in January with the same vision of a relaxing, relevant, and refreshing church. We actually launched a website www.ifyouhatechurch.com to see what people think about church and why they have stopped coming. It has been amazing how many people have responded and are willing to check out the church just because they were invited. Awaken sounds amazing, and I wish you the best. We have actually been attending Rockpoint as we wait for our launch date, so we may have seen each other and never even knew it. God bless.

Travis said...

Let me know if you plan a trip to come visit. I would love to meet your team and answer any questions you may have.

Justin said...

Will Do! We will be there on your launch date.