Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Do I love church more than my family?

I was thinking yesterday about my job and how I love it. I get to hang out with middle and high school students. They pay me for that! It is an honor to serve God with this young generation and pour into their lives.

I love studying other ministries and churches and putting together different series to speak on and different messages. I love reading books and blogs about church and God and community. I really invest a lot of time with these different ideas and things dealing with the church.

Everyone wants to be remembered for something. I think about my family a lot. 1 wife and 2 girls. Do I love them and study them as much as I do church stuff? I think that is a good question to think about. Some may say, "Justin! how could you possibly even think about loving ministry more than your family?". Well, to be honest, I am just evaluating where I put my time.

I think it can be a struggle for men to spend more time on other things than their wives and children. Sports, books, TV, gut stuff and jobs could definitely take the ranks over family if we are not careful.

I think of the Bible and how it says that "Husbands are to love our wives as Christ loved the Church and gave Himself up for her". That is a huge responsibility for men... and we need to take it more seriously and do it.

Application: It is great to love my job and ministry and church stuff, but I need to constantly evaluate the time spent on my family. Justin, love your wife as Christ loves His church.

No comments: