Saturday, July 19, 2008

"I stink" - my daughter says

My wife and I always get our 20 month old daughter to say funny things. If she goes potty in her pants she'll say, "I stink", which means she wants to be changed. She knows she does not want to be in a diaper full of poop, but sometimes does not want to be changed right away because it takes away from her play time. Even though she knows she stinks, she will sacrifice the smell for another cartoon or another toy to play with. If we left her in her diaper all day, she would likely have consequences at the end; a rash. As parents Faith and I will change her, even if she cries and it takes time away from her toys. We care for her and do not want her to stink or have a rash.

I think of Christians who struggle with sin. We know that we really do not want to be in it and at the end of the day it will leave us with consequences, a lot of times more severe than a rash. Instead of walking in our mess, we need to allow God to change us. We need to lay down our sinful cravings and turn to a God that wants to change us and make us better.

No comments: