Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Identity Crisis: Jean Calude Van Dame is my Hero.

This morning Kylie, our 2 year old, had a great idea to make up a game. She started calling Faith, Mary and called me Carson and called herself Halle. Mary is my sister-in-law, Carson is her husband and Halle is their daughter. She liked to play and have fun with the thought that we were them. She thought it was funny. She made us, them

I remember being in Middle and High School wanting to be like someone else. It could have been a famous musician or and athlete or it could have just been someone I looked up to in my school. Don't laugh, but I remember wanting to be like Jean Claude Van Dame when I was 11 and I liked Deion Sanders. My favorite number is still 21.

I think many churches and church plants have an "Identity Crises". There is a great network within the church planting world. There is also a lot of copying. I see a lot of churches doing the same thing. That is not the total problem, because I can understand borrowing a series or two from time to time or using a good community outreach idea, but many have lost or never had their own originality and own identity as a church.

Many people want to just be like Furtick or Stanley(two of my favorites by the way), but do not want to do their own thing. One thing we have to do before we launch Awaken in August, is to make sure we are who we are and that we are not anyone else. We need to be who God has called us to be.

No comments: