Thursday, January 1, 2009

The "Meet" behind it all.

It is interesting that as I study scripture I can see more insights as I dig deeper into the text. If I start to study the context, culture, language and understand the writer, I can get some good meat behind the passage. The passage at first hand is good for me to read, but when I get the meat, I feel like I really get a grasp on what the scripture means.

I think it is no different in church planting when it comes to recruiting people to your church. First off I do not like some of the connotations that are associated with the word recruiting. It almost seems like you want another number. Although we are not in it for recruiting and numbers, we are in it to see more people come to know and honor God in their lives. One of the best ways for me has been intentional "meetings". I like to set up "meetings" and start to understand the person, the context of their life, the culture where they have grown up, understand how they talk and relate and just get to know the person.

When we simply "meet" with people and get to know them for who they are, the better chance of a real relationship starting and and a better chance of that they join the vision you have for your church. I think this is a great approach for pastors and members.

No comments: