Friday, January 23, 2009

What If People Quit Church?

What if people quit church? Well the reality is is that they do. So the question should not be "What if people quit church", but "Why do people quit church". I did my own little survey with some family and friends. I always read and heard people just did not go to church because it was judgmental, hypocritical and so on (negative thoughts). Although those topics probably lead the way for reasons people do quit church, I found another answer.

I asked people and they just said, "I do not know, I just quit". I asked was it because it was hypocritical, judgmental and so on (negative thoughts)... but they said " no, I just quit".

I think one question pastors, church planters and the rest of the body should ask is "Is our church helpful?". I think if we were really helpful and impacted peoples lives, they would stay. Words like hypocritical and judgmental are negative words. The people I asked did not go to a negative church, but did not go to a helpful church either. I think if we implemented ideas like being relevant, engaging, funny, thought provoking and more, in our messages, small groups and in our church atmosphere and environments, we would probably keep people's attention and be helpful to their lives. We need to be real with people, love them and relate to their lives.

We shouldn't only be asking ourselves defensive questions like "What do we do to be non hypocritical and non judgmental" But proactive questions like "What are we doing to be helpful"

I don't know. These are just some thoughts. What do you think?

1 comment:

Jeremy$ said...

well said Mr. Davenport. That's so true. Not changing the message, but letting God use us to communicate the message through us, in a relevant way.