Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Not Alone


It is comforting to know that I am not alone and that Christ has called my family. My family and I have taken on what seems like an impossible challenge; starting a church. First of all why do we want to start a church? Is it because we need "another" church in our city of Chattanooga? Nope. Not at all. We have plenty. Then why?

First, I feel called to be a pastor and preach, build relationships and cast vision to a church. Second, most churches would not accept me if I gave them my resume. Third, many churches are already in a system that I do not personally think are very effective. Are theses churches good and have nice people? Sure! I just think lack of authentic community exist in many churches in our city. There has to be a place, a church, where people can be real, confess struggles, not act like they are perfect, truly love one another. Jesus said that the world would come to know him because of our love for one another. If we do not know each other, then how can we truly love one another, and if we do not truly love one another, then how will the world come to Christ through us loving each other? They don't. Many won't.

That is why in the book "UnChristian" stats are filled with why people do not go to church. Particularly the 16-29 year old age. Here is a glimpse of what they say, "Christians are supposed to represent Christ to the world. But according to the latest report card, something has gone terribly wrong. Using descriptions like “hypocritical,” “insensitive,” and “judgmental,” young Americans share an impression of Christians that’s nothing short of . . . unChristian".

At Awaken, we honestly want to build authentic relationships with everyone that walks through our doors. Our purpose is to build believers in Christ and reach a community that is far from God. One way, a big way to do this is by love for one another.

This is the reason that we are doing what we are doing and we are not alone, Christ has called us.

If you want to be a part of a church like this we would love to invite you to our next meeting on 1.25.09. E-mail me at justin@awakencc.org if you are interested.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Authentic community willing to be vulnerable to travel together to come closer to Jesus and the life for which we were created...

I love it!!