Friday, March 14, 2008

Family vs. Work

I am continually thinking about the way God designed life and the order that things in life are suppose to matter. I constantly see a need for God to be first in my life. Without His presence daily I am not worth much. Christ has to be the center of my life. And then how my wife must be second, right behind the God of the universe. That is huge! That my wife would follow God? Wow, God must mean it when He says "Husbands love your wife as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her...". And then my daughters. Kylie deserves all of my attention right behind God and mommy. What a blessing that is for a child to get so much attention from their parents. Abigail will be here in a few weeks and will be able to share in with Kylie, the love from mommy and daddy.

Down the list we will have extended family, friends and work and so on. Work is something isn't it? As a pastor, I have the greatest job in the world. I get to be creative in planning programs, having lunch appointments with other people in ministry, encouraging staff, studying the Word of God to bring a powerful, thought provoking, relative, engaging and life changing message. The only problem is a lot of times I love my work more than my wife. I do not know if it is a guy thing, that there is this job out there and I have to fix it and perfect it, and so I spend much time on it. Even as I write I have written far more about my work than my family. I remember a talk from Andy Stanley. He said something to the effect of - If you are going to cheat your wife or the church; cheat the church. That was interesting. Not, cheat God, but cheat the church. I am going to end my writing and spend time thinking through something special to do for my family today.

No comments: