Sunday, March 2, 2008

Our primary purpose for existence is not to glorify God.

These are thoughts from a friend on facebook. I also responded to what he said. This may seem kind of long, but worth reading. I would love to get feedback.

(from David) So, a couple of people have asked me what I discovered about my purpose in life, or whatever. And, I thought I'd post it on here for eveyone to read :-)d) What is life "for"?I think this maybe is where I disagreed some with what others have posted. I really do not believe our primary purpose for existence is to glorify the Lord. God is infinite. We cannot comprehend his power, knowledge, abilities, and traits. He was, is, and will be. He’s completely capable of bringing Himself the utmost amount of glory, beyond any way we can possibly fathom. He does not need us to bring Himself glory. (In some sense. Someone must be a witness to His glory. But, He can do things that bring Himself glory, without our intervention. Thus, our bringing glory to Him is not an exclusive purpose.) But, what He does need us for is relationship. Before god created the universe, it was only the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. God made man in His image. He put man in charge of the world He created, and made a wonderful world that man could enjoy. And, most wonderfully, God walked with man in the Garden of Eden every day. The picture of Eden is not man doing things so God looks good. Eden was a perfect place where God and man communed. When we sinned, God loved us so much that He allowed His only Son to be killed on our behalf, so that we could share relationship with Him again. A God primarily interested in bringing glory to Himself wouldn’t give His Son for a bunch of people who continuously do NOT bring Him glory. A god primarily interested in loving us and sharing relationship with us would. And so, this is our purpose, to love the Lord, and to be loved by Him. And in this process of loving, MUCH glory is brought to the Lord. We are to glorify and serve the Lord, because of what He did for us. But love, and relationship, is the driving force.Joseph and I talked about this a long time ago... what are everyone else's thoughts?

(from me) David,Whats up bro? I like what you have written. During this whole "glorify God" movement (not writing that as if is a bad thing, actually a good thing), I have felt that there is more than just that simple statement. I have been looking at God through the O.T. and His love for people. He was so patient with Israel. Yeah there were times to smack them around and disciplined them, but through it all, He loved them. At the end of Romans 11(very interesting) He talks about how He grafted us in through Christ. Then picking up at Romans 12:1-2 (which everyone knows) talks about being a living sacrifce (loving God because He loved us). Also look at the greatest commandment -"Love God with everything and love people as yourself." There should be something about a love relationship in our life purpose statements. Thanks for this, you have helped me think deeper about this subject.

1 comment:

Michael S. Cole, M.D. said...

Check out my article/sermon, "Purpose For Existence," at--

http://www.westark.org/library/purpose.htm

in which I argue that LOVE is the reason we exist.